Section 2 -Crafting and Developing your Style
"Yellow Submarine" Songwriting Work Tapes - Part 1
"Yellow Submarine" Songwriting Work Tapes - Part 2
"You write a hit the smae way you write a flop" - Alan Jay Lerner
Tuesday, September 27th, 2022
Thursday, September 29th, 2022
Tuesday - Revision
- Strategies for working through the hard moments.
- Making your songs more interesting.
- questions you should ask.
- thinking through your characters and narrative elements.
1. Make a list of common phrases you use when you speak.
2. Make a list of questions to ask yourself when editing
3. Rewrite a verse of song you have already finished that uses a "predictable" rhyme. Use less "predictable words".
Thursday - Workshopping Session
- Bring a song
"I started being a songwriter by pretending I could do it, and it turned out I could." - James Taylor
Tuesday, October 4th, 2022
Thursday, October 6th, 2022
Tuesday - Licensing and Publishing
- The PROs
- Pitching songs
- DIY Distribution services
- Streaming Services
Thursday - Workshopping session [In Person]
- Bring a song to share.
The more time you spend writing the "luckier" you will get.
Tuesday, October11th, 2022
Thursday, October 13th, 2022
Tuesday - Guest Presenter
John Pennell - formerly of Alison Krauss & Union Station
"Everytime You Say Goodbye" - Alison Krauss
"Dark Skies" - Alison Krauss
"Carry Me Across the Mountain" - Dan Tyminski
"Fork In the Road" - The Infamous Stringdusters
"Meat and Potato Man" - Alan Jackson
Thursday - No Class - Martin Out
“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” - Thomas Edison
Tuesday, October 18th, 2022
Thursday, October 20th, 2022
Tuesday - Using Tech
- Notation Programs
- Finale -
- Audacity - [FREE]
Thursday - Section 2 Workshop (In Person)
Bring a song written from Section 2 writing prompts