Section 1 -Getting Started
"You write a hit the smae way you write a flop" - Alan Jay Lerner
Tuesday, August 30th, 2022
Thursday, September 1, 2022
Tuesday - Introduction
- How to navigate this course
- Presenting songs
- Giving good feedback
- Receiving feedback
- Asking for advice
1. Buy a notebook! (one you can work in for the entire course)
2. Find a song and break it down. Write a short description of the song thinking about form, chords, rhyme scheme, imagery, etc. Tell me why you like it, and why you don't
3. Explore the rhyming dictionary as well as the resource section in this progressions course.
Thursday - Doing the work!
- The Audience
- Finding Inspiration
- Habits to develop
- Carry a notebook
- Observe and listen
- Ask questions and be in your head
- Write, write, write!
- Read lots of books
- Make decisions
- Power through or let it rest
- Show up to the easel
- Your writing space
- Reviewing your repertoire
- what songs have you started? Finish those.
1. Find at least one song that is unfinished, either in your mind or in your writings and finish it this weekend.
2. Notebook - Somewhere near the front of your notebook, make a list of songwriting topics and a list of titles that you can draw from for this class. You need to have ten topics and twenty titles.
"I started being a songwriter by pretending I could do it, and it turned out I could." - James Taylor
Tuesday, September 6, 2022
Thursday, September 8, 2022
Tuesday - No class - Martin Out
Thursday - Workshop #1
- Bring a song that is incomplete
The more time you spend writing the "luckier" you will get.
Tuesday, September 13th, 2022
Thursday, September 15th, 2022
Tuesday - Form and Structure - Instruction
Thursday - Workshop #2
- Bring a song to share.
“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” - Thomas Edison
Tuesday, September 20th, 2022
Thursday, September 22nd, 2022
Tuesday - Finding Inspiration - Creation - Discussion class
1. Free write for ten minutes using your non-dominant hand.
Notebook - Make a list of five things that make you feel creative.
Thursday - Section 1 Workshop (In Person)
Bring a song written from Section 1 writing prompts